Saturday, July 3, 2010

SURVIVING THE MIDDLE EAST LIFE

Finally, after a long break on blogging, my first entry on my life in Doha.

It's been 2 weeks now since i arrived in Doha. Extreme heat to the highest level greeted me as soon as i arrived at the airport, my nose almost bled. Though im already inside the car, still i can feel the heat. I have to wipe my face with wet towel to lessen the heat.

As soon as i arrived at the airport, i was taken directly to my villa which is approximately 30 minutes away from the airport. While going to my villa, i tried to look around where I'm going, Doha is a very organized city, developments are everywhere. Lots of constructions going on, nice and wide roads, no traffic, but there is one thing that I observed, most houses here are alike. It seems that people here are afraid of using other colors aside from beige and khaki. It is easily to get lost and houses are almost exactly the same.

As soon as I reached my villa, I was impressed by the place, it is quite larger the way I expected it, probably because I'm sharing with 14 other people. It is 3 storey villa with 6 bedrooms, a roof top and a private swimming pool. The whole villa has centralized air condition, fully furnished with high-tech appliances. I was quite disappointed with it's location. I was expecting it to be on a prime location, but the villa is quite located on an isolated place. There are no establishments near it including internet shops that is why it took me a long time to create this blog. there is only one hypermarket near it which is a 10-15 minutes walk.

Upon entering the villa, I was welcomed by my filipino housemate whom I'll be sharing a room with. he arrived there 3 weeks ago, there were only 4 of us filipinos at the villa, the other 11 are Egyptians. It is my first time to share flat with other nationality. I felt like I was inside big brother house teenternational hehehe.

The Egyptians are okay they are fun to be with, they are just very noisy and they outnumber us, as if they own the whole place. So far I don't have any problems with them. It just took me some time to memorize their names and distinguish one another because they all look the same to me.

After fixing my things, I had a small chat with my roommate and some of the Egyptians, afterwards I felt starving so I asked my roommate to help me go to market. It is 11am and temperature outside is like 40 degrees, there is no other way to reach the market other than walking. So whether we like it or not we went outside and took 10 minutes walking and oh my, I felt like i was on top of a barbeque grill! The sun is burning us like hell! That was my first time to walk under the heat of the sun. I just told myself, ''Welcome to Qatar!"

No comments:

Post a Comment